Casey Anthony Wiki, Biography, Age, Husband, Family, Net Worth

Death of Caylee Anthony was an American girl who lived in Orlando, Florida, with her mother, Casey Marie Anthony (born March 19, 1986), and her maternal grandparents, George and Cindy Anthony. On July 15, 2008, she was reported missing in a 9-1-1 call made by Cindy, who said she had not seen Caylee for 31 days and that Casey’s car smelled like a dead body had been inside it. Cindy said Casey had given varied explanations as to Caylee’s whereabouts before finally telling her that she had not seen Caylee for weeks. Casey lied to detectives, telling them Caylee had been kidnapped by a nanny on June 9, and that she had been trying to find her, too frightened to alert the authorities. She was charged with first-degree murder in October 2008 and pleaded not guilty.

Explore Death of Caylee Anthony Wiki Age, Height, Biography as Wikipedia, Husband, Family relation. There is no question Death of Caylee Anthony was the most famous & most loved celebrity of all the time. You can find out how much net worth Death of Caylee has this year and how she spent her expenses. Also find out how she got rich at the age of 35. She has a pure loving kind heart personality. Scroll Down and find everything about her.

Casey Anthony Wiki, Biography

Date of Birth May312011
Birth Day May31
Birth Years 2011
Age 35 years old
Birth Place Warren, Ohio, USA
Birth City Ohio
Birth Country United States of America
Nationality Italian
Famous As 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States
Also Known for 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States
Zodiac Sign Virgo
Occupation 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States

Famously known by the Family name Caylee Marie Anthony, was a great 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States. She was born on May312011, in Warren, Ohio, USA. Ohio is a beautiful and populous city located in Warren, Ohio, USA United States of America.

Read Also: Bruno Tabata Wiki, Biography, Age, Net Worth, Family, Instagram, Twitter, Social Profiles & More Facts

Caylee Marie Anthony Net Worth

Caylee Marie Anthony has a net worth of $5.00 million (Estimated) which she earned from her occupation as 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States. Popularly known as the 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States of United States of America. She was seen as one of the most successful 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States of all times. Caylee Marie Anthony Net Worth & Basic source of earning was being a successful Italian 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States.

Death of Caylee entered the career as 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States In her early life after completing her formal education..

Net Worth

Estimated Net Worth in 2022 $1 Million to $5 Million Approx
Previous Year’s Net Worth (2021) Being Updated
Salary in 2021 Not Available
Annual Salary Being Updated
Cars Info Not Available
Income Source 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States

Death of Caylee Anthony Death: and Cause of Death

On July 14, 2011, Death of Caylee Anthony died of non-communicable disease. At the time of her death, she was 0 years old. At the time of her death she survived by her large extended friends and family.

Social Network

Born on May312011, the 2008 death in Orlando, Florida, United States Death of Caylee Anthony was arguably the world’s most influential social media star. Death of Caylee was an ideal celebrity influencer. With her large number of social media fans, she often posts many personal photos and videos to interact with her huge fan base on social media platforms. Personal touch and engage with her followers. You can scroll down for information about her Social media profiles.

Social Media Profiles and Accounts

Twitter Not Available
Instagram Not Available
Facebook Not Available
Wikipedia Death of Caylee Anthony Wikipedia
YouTube Not Available
Spotify Not Available
Website Not Available
Itunes Not Available
Pandora Not Available
Googleplay Not Available
Deezer Not Available
Quora Not Available
Soundcloud Not Available

Life Story & Timeline


Closing arguments were heard July 3 and July 4. Jeff Ashton, for the prosecution, told the jury, “When you have a child, that child becomes your life. This case is about the clash between that responsibility, and the expectations that go with it, and the life that Casey Anthony wanted to have.” He outlined the state’s case against Casey, touching on her many lies to her parents and others, the smell in her car’s trunk—identified by several witnesses, including her own father, as the odor from human decomposition—and the items found with Caylee’s skeletal remains in December 2008. He emphasized how Casey “maintains her lies until they absolutely cannot be maintained any more” and then replaces [them] with another lie, using “Zanny the Nanny” as an example. Anthony repeatedly told police that Caylee was with the nanny that she specifically identified as Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez. Police, however, were never able to find the nanny. Authorities did find a woman named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, but she denied ever meeting the Anthonys.

Explanations other than, or emphasizing, the prosecution’s lack of forensic evidence were given for the jury’s decision. A number of media commentators reasoned that the prosecution overcharged the case by tagging on the death penalty, concluding that people in good conscience could not sentence Anthony to death based on the circumstantial evidence presented. The CSI effect was also extensively argued—that society now lives “in a ‘CSI age’ where everyone expects fingerprints and DNA, and we are sending a message that old-fashioned circumstantial evidence is not sufficient”. Likewise, commentators such as O. J. Simpson case prosecutor Marcia Clark believe that the jury interpreted “reasonable doubt” too narrowly. Clark said instruction on reasonable doubt is “the hardest, most elusive” instruction of all. “And I think it’s where even the most fair-minded jurors can get derailed,” she said, opining the confusion between reasonable doubt and a reason to doubt. “In Scotland, they have three verdicts: guilty, not guilty, and not proven. It’s one way of showing that even if the jury didn’t believe the evidence amounted to proof beyond a reasonable doubt, it didn’t find the defendant innocent either. There’s a difference.”

The next day, juror number three—Jennifer Ford, a 32-year-old nursing student—told ABC News, “I did not say she was innocent” and “I just said there was not enough evidence. If you cannot prove what the crime was, you cannot determine what the punishment should be.” She added, “I’m not saying that I believe the defense,” but that “it’s easier for me logically to get from point A to point B” via the defense argument, as opposed to the prosecution argument. Ford believed George Anthony was “dishonest.” She said the jury “was sick to [their] stomachs to get [the not-guilty] verdict” and that the decision process overwhelmed them to the point where they did not want to talk to reporters afterwards. Juror number two, a 46-year-old male who requested to stay unidentified, told the St. Petersburg Times that “everybody agreed if we were going fully on feelings and emotions, [Anthony] was done”. He stated that a lack of evidence was the reason for the not-guilty verdict: “I just swear to God … I wish we had more evidence to put her away. I truly do … But it wasn’t there.” He also said that Anthony was “not a good person in my opinion”. Juror number six, identified by WTSP as Brian Berling, told gossip website that he was willing to be interviewed “so long as the opportunities are paid”.

In an anonymous interview, the jury foreman stated, “When I had to sign off on the verdict, the sheet that was given to me—there was just a feeling of disgust that came over me knowing that my signature and [Casey Anthony’s] signature were going to be on the same sheet,” but that “there was a suspicion of [George Anthony]” that played a part in the jury’s deliberations. The foreman stated his work experience enabled him to read people and that George Anthony “had a very selective memory” which stayed with the jurors, emphasizing that the jury was frustrated by the motive, cause of death, and George Anthony. “That a mother would want to do something like that to her child just because she wanted to go out and party,” he said. “We felt that the motive that the state provided was, in our eyes, was just kind of weak.” Although the foreman objected to Casey Anthony’s behavior in the wake of her daughter’s death, he and the jury did not factor that behavior into their verdict because it was not illegal. They initially took a vote on the murder count, which was 10–2 (two voting guilty), but after more than ten hours of deliberation, they decided the only charges they felt were proven were the four counts of lying to law enforcement.

It was alleged in press reports that Cindy Anthony had perjured herself when telling jurors she—not Casey Anthony—was the one who used her family computer to search the Internet for “chloroform”. The state attorney’s office said she would not be charged.

Since the end of the trial, various movements have arisen for the creation of a new law, called “Caylee’s Law”, that would impose stricter requirements on parents to notify law enforcement of the death or disappearance of a child. One such petition, circulated via, has gained nearly 1.3 million electronic signatures. In response to this and other petitions, lawmakers in four states—Florida, Oklahoma, New York, and West Virginia—have begun drafting versions of “Caylee’s Law”. The law in Oklahoma would require a child’s parent or guardian to notify police of a missing child within 24 hours, and would also stipulate a time frame for notification of the disappearance of a young child under the age of 12. The Florida law would make it a felony if a parent or legal guardian fails to report a missing child in timely manner if they could have known the child would be in danger. The call for mandatory reporting laws has been criticized as being “reactive, overly indiscriminating and even counterproductive”. One critic noted the law could lead to overcompliance and false reports by parents wary of becoming suspects, wasting police resources and leading to legitimate abductions going uninvestigated during the critical first few hours. Additionally innocent people could get snared in the law for searching for a child instead of immediately calling police.


In January 2013, a Florida appeals court reduced her convictions from four to two counts. Her attorney had argued that her false statements constituted a single offense; however, the appeals court noted she gave false information during two separate police interviews several hours apart.

Casey filed bankruptcy with the Middle District of Florida Bankruptcy Court on January 27, 2013. Her estimated liabilities were between $500,000 and $1 million.

In July 2011, Texas EquuSearch (TES), a non-profit group which assisted in the search for Caylee from July to December 2008 when she was believed to be missing, sued Anthony for fraud and unjust enrichment. TES estimates that it spent more than $100,000 searching for Caylee even though she was already dead. TES founder and director Tim Miller estimates that the abortive search for Caylee expended 40% of the group’s yearly resources which could have been spent looking for other missing children. It only learned that Anthony knew all along that Caylee was dead when the trial began. TES and Anthony eventually settled out of court on October 18, 2013. TES was listed as a creditor to Anthony and was entitled to $75,000.


In November 2012, WKMG-TV television in Orlando reported that police never investigated Firefox browser evidence on Casey’s computer the day of Caylee’s death; they only looked at Internet Explorer evidence. The browser history showed that someone at the Anthony household, using a password-protected account Casey used, did a Firefox Google search for “foolproof suffocation” at 2:51 p.m. and then clicked on an article criticizing pro-suicide websites promoting “foolproof” ways to die, including the idea of committing suicide by taking poison and putting a plastic bag over one’s head. The browser then recorded activity on MySpace, a site used by Casey but not George. The station learned about this information from Casey’s attorney Jose Baez who mentioned it in his book on the case, speculating that George had contemplated suicide after Caylee’s death. He conceded to reporters that the records are open to interpretation; however, he speculated that the state may have chosen not to introduce the search at trial because, according to Baez, the computer records tend to refute the timeline stated by George, which was that Casey left at 12:50 p.m. An analysis by John Goetz, a retired engineer and computer expert in Connecticut, revealed that her password-protected computer account shows activity on the home computer at 1:39 p.m., with activity on her AIM account, as well as MySpace and Facebook.


The trial lasted six weeks, from May to July 2011. The prosecution sought the death penalty and alleged Casey wished to free herself from parental responsibilities and murdered her daughter by administering chloroform and applying duct tape. The defense team, led by Jose Baez, countered that the child had drowned accidentally in the family’s swimming pool on June 16, 2008, and that George Anthony disposed of the body. The defense contended that Casey lied about this and other issues because of a dysfunctional upbringing, which they said included sexual abuse by her father. The defense did not present evidence as to how Caylee died, nor evidence that Casey was sexually abused as a child, but challenged every piece of the prosecution’s evidence, calling much of it “fantasy forensics”. Casey did not testify. On July 5, 2011, the jury found Casey not guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, and aggravated manslaughter of a child, but guilty of four misdemeanor counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer. With credit for time served, she was released on July 17, 2011. A Florida appeals court overturned two of the misdemeanor convictions on January 25, 2013.

Jury selection began on May 9, 2011, at the Pinellas County Criminal Justice Center in Clearwater, Florida, because the case had been so widely reported in the Orlando area. Jurors were brought from Pinellas County to Orlando. Jury selection took longer than expected and ended on May 20, 2011, with twelve jurors and five alternates being sworn in. The panel consisted of nine women and eight men. The trial took six weeks, during which time the jury was sequestered to avoid influence from information available outside the courtroom.

The trial began on May 24, 2011, at the Orange County Courthouse, with Judge Belvin Perry presiding. In the opening statements, lead prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick described the story of the disappearance of Caylee Anthony day-by-day. The prosecution alleged an intentional murder and sought the death penalty against Casey Anthony. Prosecutors stated that Anthony used chloroform to render her daughter unconscious before putting duct tape over her nose and mouth to suffocate her, and left Caylee’s body in the trunk of her car for a few days before disposing of it. They characterized Anthony as a party girl who killed her daughter to free herself from parental responsibility and enjoy her personal life.

On July 5, 2011, the jury found Casey not guilty of counts one through three regarding first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter of a child, and aggravated child abuse, while finding her guilty on counts four through seven for providing false information to law enforcement:

On July 7, 2011, sentencing arguments were heard. The defense asked for the sentencing to be based on one count of lying on the grounds that the offenses occurred as part of a single interview with police dealing with the same matter, the disappearance of her daughter, as one continuous lie. The defense also argued for concurrent sentences, that is for all four counts to become one count and the sentence to run together as one. The judge disagreed with defense arguments, finding that Anthony’s statements consisted of “four distinct, separate lies” ordered the sentences be served consecutively, noting that “Law enforcement expended a great deal of time, energy and manpower looking for Caylee Marie Anthony. This search went on from July through December, over several months, trying to find Caylee Marie Anthony.” Judge Perry sentenced Casey to one year in the county jail and $1,000 in fines for each of the four counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer, the maximum penalty prescribed by law. She received 1,043 days credit for time served plus additional credit for good behavior, resulting in her release on July 17, 2011. Anthony filed a notice of appeal on July 15, 2011.

On July 6, 2011, Jeff Ashton gave his first interview about the case on The View. Ashton said of the verdict, “Obviously, it’s not the outcome we wanted. But from the perspective of what we do, this was a fantastic case.” He disagrees with those who state the prosecution overcharged the case, saying, “The facts that we had… this was first-degree murder. I think it all came down to the evidence. I think ultimately it came down to the cause of death.” Ashton additionally explained that if the jury did not perceive first-degree murder when they saw the photograph of Caylee’s skull with the duct tape, “then so be it”. He said he accepts the jury’s decision and that it has not taken away his faith in the justice system. “You can’t believe in the rule of law and not accept that sometimes it doesn’t go the way you think it should,” stated Ashton, and explained that he understands why the case “struck such a nerve” with the public. “I think when people see someone that they believe has so gone away from [a mother’s love for her child], it just outrages them.” Ashton also made appearances on several other talk shows in the days following, and complimented Jose Baez on his cross-examinations and as having “the potential to be a great attorney”.

Perry announced at sentencing on July 7 that he would withhold the jurors’ names for several months because of concern that “Some people would like to take something out on them.” He released the jurors’ names on October 25, 2011. On May 6, 2013, he stated that he believed there was sufficient evidence to convict Casey Anthony, even though most of the evidence was circumstantial, and that he was shocked by the not-guilty verdict.

On July 6, 2011, Anthony’s jailhouse letters were released to the general public. They were originally released (though not to public) in April 2010 by prosecutors preparing for the Anthony trial. In more than 250 handwritten pages, Anthony discusses her life in jail, what she misses, and her plans for the future if freed. On July 8, 2011, Cindy Anthony had scheduled a visit to meet with Casey at 7 pm, but Casey declined to meet with her mother. Mark Lippman told Reuters during the trial that Casey had cut off communication with her parents. It was later announced that George and Cindy Anthony would be appearing on Dr. Phil in September 2011 to tell their story.

In August 2011, the Florida Department of Children and Families released a report based on a three-year investigation into the disappearance and death of Caylee. An agency spokesperson stated, “It is the conclusion of the [DCF] that [Casey Anthony] failed to protect her child from harm either through her actions or lack of actions, which tragically resulted in the child’s untimely death.”

On October 8, 2011, Morgan deposed Casey via a video conference. She exercised her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and answered only a couple of factual questions. Morgan felt that was improper, but legal experts think that Anthony is well within her rights to plead the Fifth until her appeals of the convictions for lying to officers are exhausted. Fernandez-Gonzalez’ attorneys sought and received permission to obtain Anthony’s address (though it was kept sealed from the public) so they could subpoena her to testify, even if she only took the stand long enough to plead the Fifth. However, Fernandez-Gonzalez is willing to drop the suit if Anthony apologizes to her and compensates her for pain and suffering. In September 2015, a judge ruled in favor of Anthony, stating: “There is nothing in the statement…to support (Fernandez-Gonzalez’s) allegations that (Anthony) intended to portray (the nanny) as a child kidnapper and potentially a child killer.”


Casey left for an undisclosed location not long after the verdict. However, on August 12, she was ordered to return to Florida to serve a year’s supervised probation for an unrelated check-fraud conviction. When she pleaded guilty to that charge in January 2010, the judge in that case intended for Casey to serve her probation after proceedings in the murder case concluded, but an error in the sentencing documents allowed her to serve her probation while awaiting trial. Casey returned to Florida on August 25 and is serving out her probation in an undisclosed location. Due to numerous threats against her life, the Department of Corrections did not enter her information into the state parolee database. In August 2011, George and Cindy issued a statement that Casey would not be living at their home when she returned to Florida to serve her probation. According to Huffington Post, she was reportedly working with her probation officer to take online college classes in an unspecified field, while protected by her security, at an undisclosed educational institution.


On April 13, 2009, prosecutors announced that they planned to seek the death penalty in the case.

In October 2009, officials released 700 pages of documents related to the Anthony investigation, including records of Google searches of the terms “neck breaking” and “how to make chloroform” on a computer accessible to Casey, presented by the prosecutors as evidence of a crime.

More than 6,000 pages of evidence released by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, including hundreds of instant messages between Casey and her ex-boyfriend Tony Rusciano, were the subject of increased scrutiny by the media for clues and possible motives in the homicide. Outside the Anthony home, WESH TV 2 reported that protesters repeatedly shouted “baby killer” and that George Anthony was physically attacked. George Anthony was reported missing on January 22, 2009, after he failed to show up for a meeting with his lawyer, Brad Conway. George was found in a Daytona Beach hotel the next day after sending messages to family members threatening suicide. He was taken to Halifax Hospital for psychiatric evaluation and later released.

Different artists have written songs in Caylee’s memory. Jon Whynock performed his own version at her memorial service in February 2009, and Rascal Flatts’ Gary LeVox collaborated with country comedian and radio host Cledus T. Judd and songwriter Jimmy Yeary to write a song titled “She’s Going Places” in Caylee’s memory.


On December 11, 2008, two-year-old Caylee’s skeletal remains were found with a blanket inside a trash bag in a wooded area near the Anthony family’s house. Investigative reports and trial testimony varied between duct tape being found near the front of the skull and on the mouth of the skull. The medical examiner mentioned duct tape as one reason she ruled the death a homicide, but officially listed it as “death by undetermined means”.

According to Casey Anthony’s father, George Anthony, Casey left the family’s home on June 16, 2008, taking her daughter Caylee (who was almost three years old) with her, and did not return for 31 days. Casey’s mother Cindy asked repeatedly during the month to see Caylee, but Casey claimed that she was too busy with a work assignment in Tampa, Florida. At other times, she said Caylee was with a nanny, who Casey identified by the name of Zenaida “Zanny” Fernandez-Gonzalez, or at theme parks or the beach. It was eventually determined that a woman named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez did in fact exist, but that she had never met Casey, Caylee, any other member of the Anthony family, nor any of Casey’s friends.

When Detective Yuri Melich of the Orange County Sheriff’s Department began investigating Caylee’s disappearance, he found discrepancies in Casey’s signed statement. When questioned, Casey said Caylee had been kidnapped by Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, who she also identified as “Zanny”, Caylee’s nanny. Although Casey had talked about her, Zanny had never been seen by Casey’s family or friends, and in fact there was no nanny. Casey also told police that she was working at Universal Studios, a lie she had been telling her parents for years. Investigators brought Casey to Universal Studios on July 16, 2008, the day after Caylee was reported missing, and asked her to show them her office. Casey led police around for a while before admitting that she had been fired years before.

Casey was first arrested on July 16, 2008, and was charged the following day with giving false statements to law enforcement, child neglect, and obstruction of a criminal investigation. The judge denied bail, saying Casey had shown “woeful disregard for the welfare of her child”. On July 22, 2008, after a bond hearing, the judge set bail at $500,000. On August 21, 2008, after one month of incarceration, she was released from the Orange County jail after her $500,000 bond was posted by the nephew of California bail bondsman Leonard Padilla in hopes that she would cooperate and Caylee would be found.

On August 11, 12, and 13, 2008, meter reader Roy Kronk called police about a suspicious object found in a forested area near the Anthony residence. In the first instance, he was directed by the sheriff’s office to call the tip line, which he did, receiving no return call. On the second instance, he again called the sheriff’s office, eventually was met by two police officers and reported to them that he had seen what appeared to be a skull near a gray bag. On that occasion, the officer conducted a short search and stated he did not see anything. On December 11, 2008, Kronk again called the police. They searched and found the remains of a child in a trash bag. Investigative teams recovered duct tape which was hanging from hair attached to the skull and some tissue left on the skull. Over the next four days, more bones were found in the wooded area near the spot where the remains initially had been discovered. On December 19, 2008, medical examiner Jan Garavaglia confirmed that the remains found were those of Caylee Anthony. The death was ruled a homicide and the cause of death listed as undetermined.

Casey was offered a limited immunity deal on July 29, 2008, by prosecutors related to “the false statements given to law enforcement about locating her child”, which was renewed on August 25, to expire August 28. She did not take it.

On September 5, 2008, she was released again on bail on all pending charges after being fitted with an electronic tracking device. Her $500,000 bond was posted by her parents, Cindy and George Anthony, who signed a promissory note for the bond.

On October 14, 2008, Casey Anthony was indicted by a grand jury on charges of first degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter of a child, and four counts of providing false information to police. She was later arrested. Judge John Jordan ordered that she be held without bond. On October 21, 2008, the charges of child neglect were dropped against Casey, according to the State Attorney’s Office because “[as] the evidence proved that the child was deceased, the State sought an indictment on the legally appropriate charges.” On October 28, Anthony was arraigned and pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Kronk, who discoverered the remains, repeated the same basic story that he had told police. On Friday, October 24, 2008, a forensic report by Arpad Vass of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory judged that results from an air sampling procedure (called LIBS) performed in the trunk of Casey Anthony’s car showed chemical compounds “consistent with a decompositional event” based on the presence of five key chemical compounds out of over 400 possible chemical compounds that Vass’ research group considers typical of decomposition. Investigators stated that the trunk smelled strongly of human decomposition, but human decomposition was not specified on the laboratory scale. The process has not been affirmed by a Daubert Test in the courts. Vass’ group also stated there was chloroform in the car trunk.

The defense, led by Jose Baez, claimed in opening statements that Caylee drowned accidentally in the family’s pool on June 16, 2008, and was found by George Anthony, who told Casey she would spend the rest of her life in jail for child neglect and then proceeded to cover up Caylee’s death. Baez argued this is why Casey Anthony went on with her life and failed to report the incident for 31 days. He alleged that it was the habit of a lifetime for Casey to hide her pain and pretend nothing was wrong because she had been sexually abused by George Anthony since she was eight years old and her brother Lee also had made advances toward her. Baez also questioned whether Roy Kronk, the meter reader who found the bones, had actually removed them from another location, and further alleged that the police department’s investigation was compromised by their desire to feed a media frenzy about a child’s murder, rather than a more mundane drowning. He admitted that Casey had lied about there being a nanny named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzales.

The prosecution called John Dennis Bradley, a former Canadian law enforcement officer who develops software for computer investigations, to analyze a data file from a desktop taken from the Anthony home. Bradley said he was able to use a program to recover deleted searches from March 17 and March 21, 2008, and that someone searched the website for “chloroform” 84 times. Bradley expressed his belief that “some of these items might have been bookmarked”. Under cross-examination by the defense, Bradley agreed there were two individual accounts on the desktop and that there was no way to know who actually performed the searches.

On June 21, Bradley discovered that a flaw in his software misread the forensic data and that the word “chloroform” had been searched for only one time and the website in question offered information on the use of chloroform in the 19th century. On June 23, Baez called Cindy Anthony to the stand, who told jurors she had been the one who performed the “chloroform” search on the family computer in March 2008. The prosecution alleged that only Casey could have conducted this search and the others because she was the only one home at the time. When asked by prosecutors how she could have made the Internet searches when employment records show she was at work, Cindy Anthony said despite what her work time sheet indicates, she was at home during these time periods because she left from work early during the days in question. Bradley alerted prosecutor Linda Burdick and Sgt. Kevin Stenger of the Sheriff’s Office the weekend of June 25 about the discrepancy in his software, and volunteered to fly to Orlando at his own expense to show them. On the same day, the judge temporarily halted proceedings when the defense filed a motion to determine if Anthony was competent to proceed with trial. The motion states the defense received a privileged communication from their client which caused them to believe “…Ms. Anthony is not competent to aid and assist in her own defense”. The trial resumed on June 27 when the judge announced that the results of the psychological evaluations showed Anthony was competent to proceed. Later, in testimony about air samples, Dr. Ken Furton, a professor of chemistry at Florida International University, stated that there is no consensus in the field on what chemicals are typical of human decomposition. Judge Perry ruled that the jury would not get to smell air samples taken from the trunk.

The prosecution stated they discussed Bradley’s software discrepancy with Baez on June 27, and he raised the issue in court testimony. Baez also asked Judge Perry to instruct the jury about this search information, but prosecutors disputed this and it was not done. Also on June 27, the defense called two private investigators who, in November 2008, had searched the area where the body was later found. The search was videotaped, but nothing was found. On June 28, the defense called a Texas EquuSearch team leader who did two searches of the area and found no body. The defense then called Roy Kronk, who recounted the same basic story he told police about his discovery of Caylee Anthony’s remains in December 2008. He acknowledged receiving $5,000 after the remains were identified, but denied that he told his son that finding the body would make him rich and famous. The next day, his son testified he had made such statements.

On June 30 and July 1, the prosecutor presented rebuttal arguments, beginning by showing the jury photographs of Caylee’s clothes and George’s suicide note. It called two representatives of Cindy Anthony’s former employer who explained why their computer login system shows Cindy was at work the afternoon she said she went home early and searched her computer for information about chloroform. A police computer analyst testified someone had purposely searched online for “neck + breaking.” Another analyst testified she did not find evidence that Cindy Anthony had searched certain terms she claimed to have searched. Anthropology professor Dr. Michael Warren from the University of Florida was recalled to rebut a defense witness on the need to open a skull during an autopsy. The lead detective stated that there were no phone calls between Cindy and George Anthony during the week of June 16, 2008. However, he told the defense he did not know that George had a second cell phone.

Lead prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick in the prosecution rebuttal told the jurors that she and her colleagues backed up every claim they made in their opening statement six weeks ago, and implied that the defense never directly backed up their own opening-statement claims. “My biggest fear is that common sense will be lost in all the rhetoric of the case,” she said, insisting that she would never ask the jury to make their decision based on emotion but rather the evidence. “Responses to guilt are oh, so predictable,” she stated. “What do guilty people do? They lie, they avoid, they run, they mislead… they divert attention away from themselves and they act like nothing is wrong.” She suggested that the garbage bag in the trunk of the car was a “decoy” put there to keep people from getting suspicious about the smell of the car when she left it abandoned in a parking stall directly beside a dumpster in an Amscot parking lot. “Whose life was better without Caylee?” she asked, stressing how George and Cindy Anthony were wondering where their daughter and granddaughter were in June and July 2008, the same time Casey was staying at her boyfriend’s apartment while Caylee’s body was decomposing in the woods. “That’s the only question you need to answer in considering why Caylee Marie Anthony was left on the side of the road dead.” Burdick then showed the jury a split-screen with a photo of Casey partying at a night club on one side and a close-up of the “Bella Vita” (meaning “Beautiful Life”) tattoo that she got weeks after Caylee died on the other.

In September 2011, Perry, complying with a Florida statute requiring judges to assess investigative and prosecution costs if requested by a state agency, ruled that Casey Anthony must pay $217,000 to the state of Florida. He ruled she had to pay those costs directly related to lying to law enforcement about the death of Caylee, including search costs only up to September 30, 2008, when the Sheriff’s Office stopped investigating a missing-child case. In earlier arguments, Mason had called the prosecutors’ attempts to exact the larger sum “sour grapes” because the prosecution lost its case. He told reporters that Anthony is indigent.

Casey Anthony’s parents, Cindy and George, appeared on The Today Show on October 22, 2008. They maintained their belief that Caylee was alive and would be found. Larry Garrison, president of SilverCreek Entertainment, was their spokesman until he resigned in November 2008, citing that he was leaving due to “the Anthony family’s erratic behavior”.

In September 2008, Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez sued Casey for defamation. During the investigation, Anthony told investigators that she left 2½-year-old Caylee with a babysitter named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez—also known as “Zanny”—on June 16 at the stairs of a specific apartment in the Sawgrass apartment complex located in Orlando. Fernandez-Gonzalez, who was listed on apartment records as having visited apartments on that date, was questioned by police, but stated she did not know Casey or Caylee. Her defamation suit seeks compensatory and punitive damages, alleging that Casey willfully damaged her reputation. Fernandez-Gonzalez has told reporters that she lost her job, was evicted from her house, and received death threats against herself and her children as a result of Anthony’s lies. Fernandez-Gonzalez’ lawyer, John Morgan, said he wants to interrogate Anthony about Caylee’s death because it is “the essence” of the defamation suit.

In April 2016, transcripts of two 2015 affidavits of private investigator Dominic Casey were filed on the court docket in the matter of Kronk v. Anthony and picked up by news services in May 2016. In one affidavit, Casey stated that on July 26, 2008, Baez admitted to him that Casey Anthony murdered Caylee Anthony “and dumped the body somewhere and, he needed all the help he could get to find the body before anyone else did”. He also claimed that Baez had a sexual relationship with Anthony, and that “Casey told me she had to do what Jose said because she had no money for her defense.” Baez “vehemently” denied a sexual relationship.


Caylee Marie Anthony (August 9, 2005 – 2008) was an American girl who lived in Orlando, Florida, with her mother, Casey Marie Anthony (born March 19, 1986), and her maternal grandparents, George and Cindy Anthony. On July 15, 2008, she was reported missing in a 9-1-1 call made by Cindy, who said she had not seen Caylee for 31 days and that Casey’s car smelled like a dead body had been inside it. Cindy said Casey had given varied explanations as to Caylee’s whereabouts before finally telling her that she had not seen Caylee for weeks. Casey lied to detectives, telling them Caylee had been kidnapped by a nanny on June 9, and that she had been trying to find her, too frightened to alert the authorities. She was charged with first-degree murder in October 2008 and pleaded not guilty.

K9 handler Jason Forgey testified that Gerus, a German Shepherd cadaver dog certified in 2005, indicated a high alert of human decomposition in the trunk of Casey’s car, saying the police dog has had real-world searches numbering “over three thousand by now”. During cross-examination, Baez argued that the dog’s search records were “hearsay”. Sgt. Kristin Brewer also testified that her K9 partner, Bones, signaled decomposition in the backyard during a search in July 2008. However, neither K9 partner was able to detect decomposition during a second visit to the Anthony home. Brewer explained that this was because whatever had been in the yard was either moved or the odor dissipated.


Witness John Dennis Bradley’s software, developed for computer investigations, was used by the prosecution to indicate that Casey had conducted extensive computer searches on the word “chloroform” 84 times, and to suggest that Anthony had planned to commit murder. He later discovered that a flaw in the software misread the forensic data and that the word “chloroform” had been searched for only one time and the website in question offered information on the use of chloroform in the 19th century (see below).


There was a gender gap in perceptions to the case. According to a USA Today/Gallup Poll of 1,010 respondents, about two-thirds of Americans (64 percent) believed Casey Anthony “definitely” or “probably” murdered her daughter; however, women were much more likely than men to believe the murder charges against Anthony and to be upset by the not-guilty verdict. The poll reported that women were more than twice as likely as men, 28 percent versus 11 percent, to think Anthony “definitely” committed murder. Twenty-seven percent of women said they were angry about the verdict, compared with nine percent of men. On the day Casey Anthony was sentenced for lying to investigators in the death of her daughter, supporters and protesters gathered outside the Orange County Courthouse, with one man who displayed a sign asking Anthony to marry him. Two men who drove overnight from West Virginia held signs that said, “We love and support you Casey Anthony,” and “Nancy Grace, stop trying to ruin innocent lives. The jury has spoken. P.S. Our legal system still works!” The gender gap has partly been explained by “the maternal instinct”. The idea of a mother murdering her own child is a threat to the ideal of motherhood. For example, the trial was compared to the 1960s trial of Alice Crimmins, who was accused of murdering her two small children.